Getting Ready for the I-485 Interview

Greencard Interview for Employment Based EB Category

What are Employment-Based Green Card Categories?

You should note that the Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) authority splits and prioritizes green card applicants into five categories. They are:

EB-1 Priority Workers are those applicants with exceptional skills in the fields of science, art, business, education, and sports. Each country has an allocation of 2,802 (28.6% of applicants) green cards to be awarded under this category. While applicants under the EB-1 category do face the highest levels of scrutiny, they do also receive the biggest priority.

In addition to applicants deemed to possess an exceptional ability, the EB-2 category incorporate green card applicants that hold advanced degrees. They are seen to offer serious value to the country’s economy and general national interest. The EB-2 group also gains a cap of 28.6% green cards per country.

Related Article | Green Card Applicants May Soon Need a Good Credit Score

Applicants under the EB-3 category are professional individuals that boast at least two years of formal training or experience in their field of expertise. Each country is given a quote of 28.6%, as is the same as EB-1 and EB-2, but the rules are a little less stringent. This category can also extend to unskilled workers who possess experience that isn’t readily available in America.

Special immigrants falling into the EB-4 category of employment-based I-485 applications may include religious workers joining a nonprofit organization, or employees and translators of the United States government stationed in other countries. The quote cap is set to 695 (7.1%) people per country each year.

Foreign entrepreneurs and investors that intend to invest at least $1 million and create ten permanent full-time positions for U.S residents can apply for their green card under the EB-5 category. Like EB-4, this category has a cap of 7.1% of each country’s total green card applications. In cases where there are fewer applications, the figures may change to $500,000 and five jobs.

The contrast in competition levels is fairly stark between one category and the next, so knowing which route to take will make a positive impact. Following the right path also streamlines the application process, including the interview phase, as the interviewers can get straight to handling your circumstances.

Related Article | What Is the Financial Impact Of Dual Citizenship

What Do You Need at the Green Card Interview?

You will receive a confirmation of what is required during each stage of the interview, including when you receive the interview notice. However, the list of items and documentation will likely consist of:

  • Your i-94 record
  • Original copies of your current passport, along with and past passports that have U.S. visa stamps and entry/exit stamps
  • Your birth certificate
  • Photo ID, such as the options mentioned above
  • Either a separate Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and Advance Parole (AP) or a combined EAD/AP card
  • I-140 approval notice
  • Visa stamps, I-20s, I-797 approval notices or other evidence that you are a non-immigrant
  • Proof of your previous employment details
  • Your confirmed job offer and accompanying O-485 Form
  • Your two most recent pay stubs and three years of tax transcripts
  • Confirmed medical and vaccination record
  • Transcripts, diplomas, and relevant documents to support your application
  • Confirmed English-language translations of any documents written in your native language
  • By attending your green card interview with all of the above documents and items, you stand a far better chance of a quick and seamless process. This preparation will allow you to receive your work permit as soon as possible.

    You Are Engaged to a U.S. Citizen

    If you are the fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen, you stand a very good chance of becoming a green card holder after your marriage. You will begin the process by applying for a K-1 fiancé(e) visa. If approved, you will be allowed to come to the United States and get married to your fiancé(e) within 90 days of the approval.

    And after your marriage, you can apply to adjust your status by filing for a U.S. green card with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). Your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) will need to sponsor your visa application by filing an I-129F with the USCIS, after which you will complete the second phase of the process by submitting a nonimmigrant visa application at a U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country where you will be given a K-1 nonimmigrant visa.

    Related Posts

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *